Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Should Parents Respect Their Children?/ A Woman's Perspective

One of my granddaughter's reminded me of something I had not seriously thought of since I was child. She stated that she did not think parents give children enough respect. I was instantly taken back to my childhood. I personally did not feel that any adult gave children enough respect; if any at all.

Once again, I promised my unborn children that I would always treat them with respect. I know that I tried to always take their feelings into consideration, but I am just as sure that I often failed.

* The fact that my granddaughter was confident enough to share her thoughts about parents in general, lets me know that my children are raising their children with even more insight than their parents. I have since asked seven children and five adults and all shared her view. Yes, even the adults. Even with the amount of freedom they were given, neither of my children would have had the confidence to be as open.
It is not easy to balance all that needs to be balanced when raising children, and I am thankful
.that my baby reminded me of the importance of what should be such a simple act.

So, should parents try harder to give their children respect during the 'raising' process?

For me, the answer would be YES.  I grew up during a time when children had no opinion that was important enough for parents to hear, or consider. Children were to be seen and not heard.
I always seemed to ask questions that made the adults in my world very uncomfortable.

I did manage to listen to my children and allow them to express themselves,,in a respectful manner.
The phrase "Because I said so!" always seemed to be a sign that there really was not a good reason for whatever their decision happened to be. And yes, after too many 'but whys??' I admit to saying those words a few times. But, I did try to keep the slip to a minimum.

How can parents do a better job of treating our children with more respect?

Being a parent is both the most meaningful and most difficult job I have ever been blessed to have. Just trying to provide our children with their daily needs is a full time job.
 Preparing them for a productive future is an additional full time job.
Our responsibility to do our best to raise secure and confident children mandates that we teach them how to be humble and respectful. 
The best way to teach life lessons is by setting a solid example for our children to see. We can do this by treating our children with the type of respect we would have appreciated as children. And the type of respect we expect them to give to others.

Children deserve to be heard, and it is our job to listen.
If we fail to 'hear' them, they will find someone else who will. We can not afford the possible risk that person may be to that child.
As parents, we must keep an open line of communication with our children; male or female.
We must respect their opinions, even when we disagree.
It is possible to teach life lessons in a respectful manner.
Being respectful does not diminish your power as a parent

Respect for adult children is also important...


*The role of a parent is forever. Parents of adult children owe them respect as adults who are also their children; which should make the process quite easy.
* A parent should always be honest with their children. Honesty is a necessary component of security. Even adult children need the security of their parent's loving honesty.
* If a child cannot trust their parents, the pain runs deep,,,,at any age.
* A parent should respect themselves and their children enough to carry themselves in a way that guarantees respect from both sides.

Many are quick to quote God's word regarding children being respectful and obedient to parents.
There are also many references throughout the Bible regarding how God feels about children.
Our children are blessings from God..
It is our responsibility to love, teach, and discipline our children..
We must remember to add respect to the list...
They deserve nothing less.

The power of a parent should always be handled with prayer.
   


No comments:

Post a Comment