Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Memories of Christmas Morning / A Woman's Perspective

It is impossible for me to think of Christmas morning without a stroll down memory lane. As I get older, my strolls provide a surprising sense of ,,comfort.

Honestly, I do not have what I view as a 'holiday mindset'. I am convinced that my childhood memories are so filled with being the only person washing the mound of dishes resulting from the huge family gatherings is the real reason.
I will admit that the 'experience of family' was almost worth the hours of work. Almost..

Our house was the designated gathering place. . I now understand how much work goes into a successful family function of any kind.The fact that Momma was the matriarch of our family was never in question. Being the youngest of her siblings gave her an interesting level of power. Her loyalty to her family; deserved or undeserved, helped hold the small group together.

 Time passed, and people passed away.
.
The gatherings ended, but a few of us still cherish the times we spent together.
Younger generations went about the business of forming their own traditions.

I did not truly appreciate the joy that comes from meaningful giving during Christmas until my children were born.
I waited with as much anticipation for the Sears Wish Book as they did. It was so much fun to watch them turn each page with bubbling excitement.

My children were complete opposites when it came to an appreciation for toys. My son had an active imagination that was highlighted by toys. His first word was 'car'. He loved Hot Wheel cars, any other type of car, race tracks, and all things related to an 'emergency' theme. From the  age of two, he wanted to be a fireman. He used the fence in the backyard to conduct rescue missions and fight fires. He would spend hours playing by himself. He also loved action figures and Star Wars,,,anything. It was easy to buy toys that he would enjoy.

Buying toys for my daughter was a challenge. Keeping the myth of Santa alive was an even greater challenge; she always looked at us with,, well, disbelief.
She liked paper, tablets, pens, pencils, shoes, and purses. I loved buying her different types of dolls. She had a doll representing all ethnicities. Her only interest in the dolls was to make them the students in her classroom. The only exception was her Big Bird. She also enjoyed her play kitchen. She would pretend to cook all day. She kept her Easy Bake Oven on a shelf in her closet until she became an adult. Her most fun was when she had the undivided attention of her big brother. At the age of four she declared that she would go to college, become a teacher, and have a maid to clean her house. She was serious.
Both of my children loved to read until they figured out that in some circles, reading was not always cool.
Interestingly, my son is into collecting First Editions and books of his favorite authors, and my daughter is a Fourth grade teacher who specializes in reading.

The joy I have received from my children has always been priceless. The look on their faces, even my little skeptic, made the giving side of Christmas a heart warming experience.
The same is true today. When they talk about their Christmas memories, a warm smile adds a sparkle to the light in their eyes.
This warms my heart..

They are forming their own traditions for their families, while including some from their childhood.

Mission accomplished..

Our memories are a part of the life garden we have sown.
Nurture your garden with love, understanding and forgiveness.
This will provide strength that the positive memories will need to reign over the negative.




No comments:

Post a Comment