Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Are Electronics Tempting Honest People To Steal?/ A Woman's Perspective

I was fortunate enough to attend a Roberta Flack concert last weekend. This amazing woman is still as talented as she was 40 years ago. My son surprised me with VIP tickets that provided my friend and I with an almost 'touch the stage' view. Both the band and vocalists were excellent. Since this was only the second concert I have ever attended,,in my life, the entire experience is something I can cross off my growing 'bucket list' with a huge gold star.

I was a little surprised when our purses were inspected by security. The young man was apparently looking for cameras and recording devices.
I expected an announcement to turn off cell phones before the performance. Instead, it was a strong request that no flash pictures(?) or recordings of the performance would be allowed
.
Much to my surprise, the ushers were kept quite busy during the entire performance asking people to stop taking pictures and recording. There efforts were a complete waste of time. The very pleasant woman sitting directly in front of me with her mother and possibly her sister, had a very impressive piece of technology to record the entire concert. Excellent color and crisp clarity. Her video will be quite enjoyable to watch on her television. She was told three times by an usher that recordings were not allowed;  to no avail.
The theatre was filled with like-minded people.
Even if these people were making the recordings for their own personal use, they should have respected the artist enough to refrain from doing so.

Is the unauthorized use of a person's 'work' a form of stealing?

I feel very strongly that the answer is a resounding,,,yes! 
I am amazed by the number of people who firmly condemn stealing, but have a shelf filled with 'bootleg' movies. They have convinced themselves that since they are not the 'pirates',,,their hands are clean.

Generally speaking, I am not a fan of movies. People who are, can usually afford the price of a ticket. A true fan of a particular artist will support them by actually going to the movie(s) to see them practice their craft.

This is their livelihood.

Do they deserve to have any of it stolen from them; especially when the thief is benefiting from their work?

Buying stolen goods in any form is aiding a thief in their chosen path.
There is always the chance that one day you might have something they would like to have.

Do we want our children to think this behavior is clever and acceptable??

The attempt to wrap our bad choices,,, even the seemingly small ones,, up in a nice sweet package will not effect any resulting consequences we may have to face later in life.


No comments:

Post a Comment