Monday, November 19, 2012

Who Decides What Style Is Age Appropriate / A Woman's Perspective

I find it interesting that we live during a time when individuals have fought and continue to fight for basic human rights for all people. Yet, women will seek the approval and permission of a group of self appointed experts usually referred to as ' they say or people say',,to dictate what is proper for them to wear at specific times in their lives.

I am amazed when intelligent, mature women question whether they should purchase an item they really want, because it might not be age appropriate. Yes, on occasion, I have even questioned myself. I have even gone as far as asking the opinion of someone I trust to validate my choice.

I mean really, why would we give that power to a select group of society?

If a woman has good taste, she will rarely stray from what is acceptable,,for her. Mature women have had years to figure out through trial and error what styles are best for them.

Personally, I have no desire to go back in time. I have rocked hot pants, mini skirts and hip-hugging bell bottoms. However, I will under no circumstance, wear mom jeans, or more to the point,,loose fitting jeans. The fabrics of today make wearing a nice fitting pair of jeans a joyful experience.
I am 61 years old and my favorite outfit for this time of year is a nice pair of jeans with a comfortable tank, and a black leather jacket that stops at the hips. Finish this look with a nice pair of black high heeled boots, and all is well. I have chosen to lower the height of the heels, but I can live with that.

I will never wear what I refer to as 'traditional church lady attire'. I will never be dressed in the same bright multi-colors from head to toe.  If I have to choose a pants suit to avoid pantyhose,,,I will. Granted, there are still some occasions where pantyhose are required, but I wear them under duress.
I prefer separates instead of suits, but when I purchase a suit, there must be a tasteful edge.

None of my peers attempt to dress in the same styles as their daughters, but a few dress a tad bit more matronly than I do.
We understand that we have the right to dress as we please.
At our age, we do not need the approval or critique of each other,,,or anyone.
We can affirm the beauty of each other without liking the outfit the person is wearing.

If an older woman has great legs and decides to wear a short dress,,more power to her. They are her legs,,,her dress,,,her rightful decision.

When a woman dances to the beat of her own drum,,, the music is always beautiful,,at any age.
And so is she.

No comments:

Post a Comment