Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The Fragments of Love.....Chapter 3 ~Mothers Always Know~ / A Story by Sammye Kaye

ITIA CALUMET
~~his mother~~

My son has always been the center of my life. This was true when he was born, and it is still true today. His marriage to Vanessa allowed me to understand how it feels to love a daughter, and have that daughter love me. Vanessa has a wonderful mother, and she has never needed an extra, but she is my bonus child.

It has been both a blessing and a joy to see their love grow and blossom over these years. Neither one of them are perfect, but,,there love is perfect for them.
To see my child in a loving relationship means more to me than I can explain.
He grew up knowing my love, but his father never learned how to demonstrate his love to the people that he truly loved; if that makes sense.
No matter; my son and I both survived.

My deceased husband firmly believed in the ownership of property. He worked two jobs most of his life, in order to leave his son financially secure.
My son has added to his inheritance many times over.
Marcus and Vanessa live in a beautiful home that sits in the middle of six acres of lushness.
My modest cottage sits on the same property, a little less than a mile away. A winding road lined with a combination of wild flowers and evergreens connects our homes.
We jointly own a large working horse ranch ten miles outside of the city. The original house built by my husband is where I spend most summers. Marcus and Vanessa have a large home that they use for short vacations. Their children actually spend more time at the farm than their parents.

Marcus and Vanessa started a Co-Op 20 years ago that provides fresh produce for the nearby Native American community, at no cost. I personally find the word commonly used to describe these communities to be offensive.

This evening, Marcus drove past me without even seeing me. The look on his face spoke volumes. I could see the simmering look of anger so familiar in his father; but rarely present in my son. My son, who has always been 'slow to anger'.

Of course I am concerned, but I never invite myself into other grown folks business. Both Tina and I have been worried about the mood swings Vanessa has been trying desperately to ignore. She refuses to accept that the hormonal roller coaster of some women, will bring the strongest woman to her knees.
Chances are, Marcus is more moody than usual, and Vanessa is more emotional.
It is the love and respect they have for each other that has helped their marriage survive their stark differences in personalities.
At this point, all I can do is pray for my children. I will ask God to prepare all of us for the storm that I know is headed this way..
I just know.

TINA MORGAN
~~her mother~~

I woke up this morning with a heavy heart. This usually means that I need to get myself prayed up, because a storm is brewing on the horizon.
When Vanessa told me last night about the cruise she booked, I wanted to cry.
There was nothing loving about her decision. We all know that Marcus hates cruises.
She doesn't want him to go.

My first born child entered a world where she was treated like the blessing that she was. I had two miscarriages prior to her birth, and had almost given up hope of ever holding my own baby in my arms. The lost of two babies had left me emotionally drained and very much afraid.
Delvyn and I doted on our tiny, beautiful baby girl. Vanessa was born with a strong attitude. My mother was a tiny woman with a big, warm heart. Vanessa is a tiny woman with good heart and a big, bossy mouth.
I can say this, because she is my child.
She is also a wonderful daughter. She was her Daddy's princess from the day she was born, until the day he died.
She married Marcus and became his queen in every sense of the word.
 Being loved is all she has ever known.
Her emotions, all of them,,,, are full of passion. Her loyalty to those she loves is phenomenal. Her ire is almost scary.
Trying to tell her something she does not want to hear is a total waste of time.

When I was going through the change of life, I felt as if someone else was sharing my body. My poor husband told me that he seriously thought about leaving me. I truly understand. And I have a laid back personality!
I knew that Vanessa would be a force to be reckoned with.
Poor Marcus..

Like so many other young women, Vanessa is convinced that older woman could never understand the restlessness that is sure to show up during our lifetime. Most people wonder if 'this' is all there is to their life.
It is not unusual to feel like a mere shadow of a strong man; even one that is kind and gentle.

I know that she is headed for a hard fall.
I have no choice but to surrender my fears to the Lord.

I need to check my blood pressure, because now I have a big time headache.
This is going to be a very long day.
If grown children would just understand that a loving parent will rarely tell them anything that is not for their own good.
Some of them just will not listen.

Mothers always,,know.
We just do.

.
Chapter 4 ~ Turbulent Seas~~


No comments:

Post a Comment