Thursday, January 12, 2017

Selective Sin

I have been deeply pondering this topic over the last couple of weeks.
Being a lifelong Christian, the presence and wages of sin are fundamental components of my system of belief.
It is also my belief that how a person practices their belief system, is their very personal choice.

Okay,,
For me, the overall cloud of distrust, confusion, and negativity that is quickly infusing our society is a clear indication that the Love and Power of God is the only answer to the challenges that will affect all of us in the years to come.
Not just a select few; all of us.
Negativity has a unique way of backwashing to include the origin.

God is Love.

I do not consider myself to be religious. For the first 25-30 years of my life, I failed to look close enough to understand exactly what that word meant to me.
When I began to see the business aspect, and the actual references to 'church' as a business, I was forced to ask some serious questions.
Admittedly, it was several years later before I sought answers from God and His word.

When we think of a business, we think of customers or clients,, right?
The need to keep clients/customers/ members(?) content and satisfied is important,,right?
In this competitive world, the goal is usually centered around 'growing' said business,, right?
Is it possible that leaders are compelled, or at the very least expected, to be tactful, cautious, and yes, selective when choosing a particular sin to focus on??


A video was recently posted on social media that I personally found disturbing.
 A well known religious leader gave a sermon that was extremely intense in the condemnation, and demonizing of homosexuality.
Her beliefs,,,her platform,,,her right to express her feelings.

However,,,
I have heard many, many, many sermons during my lifetime, and not, for the first time, I was struck by the vitriol associated with this particular sin.
I have also never heard a sermon that addressed other, more 'accepted by society' sin with such passion.

Why?

Let's look at a few examples..
Fornication,,,sex outside of marriage. Period. Point blank.
(While it would be nice, I have never found an exception.)
(whether or not he is fine and she is hot does not make it okay,,or does it?
"well, we plan on getting married",,right?)

Adultery,,,,a married person engaging in sexual relations with a person other than their spouse.
(whether or not your flesh is weak, and your spouse doesn't understand you does not make it okay,,or does it?)

There are of course, many other sins addressed in the Bible, but I chose these because of the sexual nature.
Sex is a powerful temptation that is easy to justify within ourselves.
But, should it be??

Sure, I have heard sermons that very gently 'teach' about the wrongness of fornication and adultery, but I have never seen a minister/pastor charge across the pulpit, shaking their fingers at the congregation with such condemnation.

Nor have I witnessed the condemnation of domestic violence and child abuse addressed with such sweeping angst.

Is it possible that it is likely there are more people indulging in sex outside of marriage or adultery than there are homosexuals in the congregation??
Could it be that offending a few tithe paying homosexuals is more financially acceptable than a much larger number of 'acceptable sinners'??
Sin breaks the spirit and hearts of people.
Sin destroys families. (a so called simple lie can infect generations of families)
Sin is sin.
There is no select-a-dial.
We were all born in sin.
God gave His only begotten Son, so that our sins may be forgiven.
We will be in a battle against sin until we take our last breath.
God did not give us the power or ability to judge the sins of others.
Yes, He will give us wisdom and a spirit of discernment.
He mandates that we love our neighbors, our fellow men, as we love ourselves.
He does not need our help in doing His job.
We will stand before Him on the final day of judgment.

This world needs people to show compassion and love to one another....
...not destructive displays of condemnation under the guise of doing God"s will.
It does not matter if the hateful words are on a political platform, or the confines of a pulpit, the harm is still present.

GOD IS LOVE.
How much more simple can it be??





1 comment:

  1. I think a simple solution to not judge others is to put yourself of your most beloved in the place of those whom you would judge. Invariably, I believe, then compassion would replace condemnation!
    ~Sandra Kaye

    ReplyDelete