Monday, July 2, 2012

The Importance of Personal Style at Any Age

In a society where your worth as a person is often determined by your choice of clothing or hairstyle, being true to your personal style is not an easy task. Finding a way to make that happen is certainly worth the effort. Most women know what they like and what looks good on them. The key is having the confidence to stay true to who you are. I have never understood why anyone would strive so hard to look like everyone else. My experience with style was confusing at best. I did not have the confidence to even explore what my style might be. When I was a young married woman, my choice of clothing was not always my own, so it was often a nightmare. I covered up assets that I did not realize I had. I was almost 50 years old before I enjoyed the experience of shopping for myself. I am not in any way concerned about what others think of my choices. Most women are comfortable sharing their thoughts regarding clothing choices of women who are plus size like myself. Ironically, when I was young, and quite 'fine', I missed the chance to enjoy what that means. Now, I have the confidence to accept and fully appreciate myself as a 61 year old plus size woman. When I was a teenager I loved The Patty Duke Show; mainly because of the clothes. Money was certainly always an issue, but Harris's on Main Street carried a line of clothing that was styled similar to Bobbie Brooks, only cheaper. I have always loved penny loafers ( high shine of course!) and they were always affordable. Add a couple of pleated skirts and cute sweaters and all was well. My present style leans toward dressy casual with a little bit of edge. It works quite well for me.  A woman can feel and look sexy at any age and still be age appropriate....whatever that means to you. I am a firm believer that the real issue is being tastefully dressed in an outfit of your choice. Rules and guiidelines are silly. Period. Why should I be afraid to wear white after September 1.??  If someone is offended, well,,,turn away and keep moving. Or, someone happens to think I am too dark to wear red??  Right..  I happen to love shoes, and I am convinced that there is a genetic connection because my baby cares nothing about clothes, but is addicted to shoes. I love it!!. So ladies, find items that make you smile. Embrace pieces that makes you feel good about,,you!

No comments:

Post a Comment