Sunday, July 1, 2012

Over 60 and Single

Being a 61 year old 'forever romantic' who also happens to be single is quite a challenge. Embracing my singleness is an ongoing process.  I am deeply touched even with the idea of loving a man who will return my love. For women over the age of 50, the chances of finding true love is slim; over 60? well, we will just say that the chances are a great deal slimmer. When I read or hear about an older woman who is in a genuine relationship with a man who is not afraid to love them, I am thrilled for both of them. Their level of maturity and wisdom should help them to really 'get it right'. Even seeing a facebook status change to 'in a relationship', warms my romantic heart. I am so very thankful that God did not allow my past hurt and present state of being single bring me any grief when faced with the joy of others. For me, this is nothing short of yet another miracle He has placed in my life. Too often, people want others to be as miserable as they are.  Being rejected is one of the most painful experiences for the human spirit. Another person never has the right or power to define who we are. The experience of God's love and acceptance of me has brought me joy beyond any possible comparison. So, how do I feel about being 'by myself' ( not alone) at this time in my life??  There are times when the simple fact that I am only responsible for myself is greatly appreciated. Then, there are those times when I long for that special intimate caring that should be a natural part of loving someone.(You know, a simple inquiry about how the person is feeling, is a good example). When we are faced with life changing events, having that special person to just hold you is something that most people take for granted. There was a time when simple family gatherings seemed to highlight the fact that I came alone and I would also leave alone. Thankfully, that time has long passed. I am not afraid of being by myself for the remainder of my life; I am also not ashamed to admit that I will continue to pray that God will place the man of His choice firmly in my life.  God has filled the voids in my life with His love, but there are spaces in my heart and spirit that I would love to have occupied. In the meantime, I will continue to embrace the gift of contentment. My contentment gives me the ability and strength to accept whatever God's will happens to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment